I bet you have a recipe for Taco Soup. This version is a blend of several recipes I have tried over the years. Being snowed in for 3 days, not used to this, I am making several kinds of soup. I will share the other recipes in other posts, one with hot turkey sausage, white beans and some spinach. I made the Taco Soup first because it is really easy and it takes no time to brown the meat and dump it all together in the crock pot. Hours later the house was smelling delicious and I was one “joyful cook” because dinner was done. Even if you don’t use this recipe get yours out and make a pot of Taco Soup. ( why do kids love anything taco?) I would love to hear your variations please leave a comment at the bottom of the post. Enjoy!
Optional: Top with sour cream, cheddar cheese and jalapeno.
It will be “The Best You Ever Made”
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef low fat (I used 8% or 11% fat)
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 package taco mix
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes and chilies
- 2 can diced tomatoes (I used Fire Roasted Canned Tomatoes to make it spicy)
- 1 can shoepeg corn (usually found on the top shelf in grocery store)
- 1 package original ranch dressing mix
- 1 medium onion chopped
- Add ground beef and onion to skillet and cook until no longer pink. You can add some minced garlic.
- Open and drain all the beans and the corn
- Dump everything in the the crock pot, the meat, beans, corn, and tomatoes
- Add 2 cups of water and the dry mixes (ranch and taco).
- Stir and cook on high heat for at least 2 hours ---low heat for 4 hours.
- Serve with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and chopped jalapeno.
- Freeze any left overs in a freezer safe container. Better still double the recipe and make sure you have some for freezing. Always a good thing to have lunch/ dinner ready in the freezer.