I have been making this chicken salad for many, many years. I am so happy to share it with you. It is simple to make and oh so delicious. I like serving it on a bed of mixed lettuce with hearts of palm, tomatoes, boiled eggs, chunks of cheese or whatever I have in the fridge. As you can see, from the picture I didn’t have much in the fridge this day. This is one of the favorite recipes of the Apples of Gold Ministry. It is my go to recipe for serving at a ladies luncheon, any kind of shower, picnic or going to an outdoor concert. As a salad, with all the yummy sides I like to box it in a to go box for outdoor concerts. It is a good way to take a whole meal in one container and you can easily pack it in a cooler. Take along some crusty bread and some of your favorite dressing for the lettuce. My favorite to serve with it is homemade Italian dressing. Then all you need is a dessert that is easy to transport. You might try my Graham Cracker Cookies. I am so glad warm weather is finally here. We had a hard winter in Atlanta. But with the warm, sunny days we are all thinking of out door dining and we have lots of great outdoor concerts locally. Can’t wait to make this meal and go. Who can you invite for a picnic or maybe just take over a big bowl of chicken salad to a friends house? Spread some Joy with Cissy’s Chicken Salad. Enjoy!!!
- 2 cups chicken (3 breasts or one 2 lb.bag of frozen chicken tenderloins) Cooked and finely chopped.
- 1- 8 oz. can pineapple tidbits, drain off ¼ of the juice. Use the remaining ¾ in recipe.
- ½ cup mayonnaise (My favorite mayo is Duke's, light or regular)
- 1 cup sliced almonds or slivered almonds. ( I like to roast them at 350 degrees for 10 minutes)
- 1 cup dried cranberries (optional)
- Boil chicken for 5 minutes and then turn off and cover with lid. Let set for 20 minutes. This is a good way to cook chicken that will not overcook it or dry it out.
- Use small food processor to chop chicken or finely chop by hand.
- Combine chopped chicken and remaining ingredients in a large bowl; stir well. Salt to taste.
- Serve as a sandwich or over a bed of lettuce with your favorite salad items.
My favorite mayonnaise is Duke's Light or Regular
Chill to bring out the flavors.
You can add ½ cup finely chopped celery.
You can add 1½ teaspoons curry powder along with 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
You can also add 1 tablespoon dried tarragon for a completely differ flavor.
I would not use curry and tarragon together.
As you can see this is a good basic Chicken Salad Recipe for you to start with and then add what you and your family would like. Be creative.